10 Power Packed Steps for Ebook Writing
An ebook is a tool that can take your practice or business forward. Many of us like to think of an ebook as an exclusive tool for authors. But there is a whole world of profitability waiting for you when you embrace ebook writing.
I would go so far as to say that an ebook can change your life!
That’s right – an ebook can do many things if the ebook writing is on point.
Here are the Ways in Which Ebook Writing can Help You:
- Promote a Business or a Brand with an ebook.
- Create an ebook writing course.
- Get ebook writing jobs on a freelance basis.
- Start an ebook writing service or blog.
- Write an ebook on your niche or a sub niche.
- Create a new income stream by regularly writing and publishing ebooks.
- Become a subject matter expert with ebooks on the subject.
- Attract potential customers with a free ebook.
So, it is clear as day that ebook writing can work as a marketing tool or even as an authorship tool. It can even work as a teaching aid. As a result, one can easily say that ebook writing and publishing is not just for an author. An ebook can be used by an author, a teacher, a business owner, a professional, a service provider, a blogger and so many other people! So, think about it – would you really want to waste that earning potential by ignoring ebook writing?
Yet, many of us do. Before we go on to explain the massive benefits of ebook writing and the steps to write an ebook in ten easy power packed steps, let us look at a few facts and figures.
How Much Can Your Earn From Ebook Writing?
- Amazon: There are some 200,000 writers and authors who publish ebooks on Amazon. Out of them, 5,000 authors routinely make well over $10,000 a month. Also, there are at least a 1,000 authors who make six figure amounts in a year. Apart from Amazon, there are many other platforms where you can publish your ebooks for a wide readership. These include Unbound, Gumroad, Smash Words, Kobo Writing Life, and many others.
- Marketing Tool: A free ebook giveaway is just what your business may need. Not only would it make you look authoritative and knowledgeable about your niche, but it would also bring in customers. As a form of extended inbound marketing, an ebook can bring in thousands of dollars in conversions. It is an excellent tool to engage with your core audience as well, with the right call for action.
- Subject Matter Specialist: Are you looking to become a freelance blogger or content writer in a certain niche? Or do you want to bring in more students for your online courses? These are a few things that ebook writing can do for your career. As a fitting landing page, a quick PDF or Kindle ebook would make quite an impression on your prospective student or customer. With a thriving non fiction section, many on Amazon have reported earnings of $10,000 upwards from a single ebook.
- Affiliate Marketing: It always helps to find your links or ads in the most unexpected places. An ebook is such a place where you can spread knowledge and display affiliate marketing links for that niche. By doing this, you do not merely earn from your blog, but also from ebooks! While people are already making top dollar with affiliate marketing on websites, you can hope to make much more money by adding ebooks to the mix.
10 Steps to Plan and Write an Ebook
Now that you have understood why you need an ebook, let us understand how you can efficiently write one. You do not need to spend a year to create a novel style ebook. You can simply create one in two weeks or less with these ebook writing steps!
1] Choose the Topic and the Title: This must be done with much care. Your ebook should ideally be on something you know like the back of your hand. Think about what your ideal audience would be able to solve with the information in this ebook. Then, go backwards and research similar books on Kindle. Your next step would be to choose a category and sub category which is doing well, yet one where the competition would not be too stiff. Finally, craft a title that instantly paints a picture!
2] Research: The research function does not merely stop at the above step. During the course of writing the ebook, you would also have to read plenty of books, websites and other resources. This will help you get the facts and figures to lend authenticity to your ebook. In fact, this step is especially important for a non fiction ebook. As a result, your ebook will end up adding much value to the reader’s life and bookshelf!
3] Write with a Routine: Typically, an ebook would have to be at least 10,000 to 20,000 words. Yet, you can make it even shorter if it is intended as a giveaway filled with images, links and other such resources. However, putting together the information and creating a tome is a matter of planning and commitment. You can choose to tackle a certain word count a day or a certain page count in a day. By day 7, you should be ready to edit.
4] Add Material: You can choose to Google and find affiliate links or other resources for your readers to follow and find. Additionally, you can also take screenshots of specific steps in case your ebook is a ‘How To’ style one. This material will add much value to your ebook. Moreover, adding such elements will also help you earn and these kinds of strategies in ebook writing will also decide how much you will eventually make. Always remember to insert the call for action.
5] Format Your Ebook: This would have to be one of the most important steps. Kindle and other platforms employ their own formats and one would need to stick to the same. The Creative Penn lists some fantastic resources and websites where you can run your manuscript and download a Kindle friendly and formatted version for free! If you are creating a PDF ebook, make sure that you have used a uniform template for all the pages on Canva, Word or any other software or website. Then, bring some high quality images and enlist the help of a graphic designer to churn out the final file.
6] Build an Audience: In all of the above steps, you may find that you have lost track of time and days. Yet, it is very important to keep in touch with the end user to let them know what to expect. Build a relationship with your reader even before you actually start writing the ebook. This will keep you uppermost in their minds. Answer relevant questions on social media groups and posts. Build an email database and keep them updated.
7] Hit Publish: Now, you need to look for the right vehicle or platform for your precious ebook. This will lead you to a number of portals, apps, software and much more. However, choosing the right platform will involve understanding the intention behind the ebook, the subject and the places where readers would typically buy or download such reading material. Accordingly, you can launch it on Kindle, or publish a link on a landing page.
8] Spread the Word: It is now time to promote your ebook to ensure that it reaches the hands of the right readers. For this, you can turn to social media campaigns or simply use an email marketing campaign. This also brings us back to the point of tapping into the audience that you would have built during the ebook planning and writing phase.
9] Measure and Make Changes: Watch how your ebook is doing. Do you need to add more information or break it down into some articles? Do you need to create a series of webinars to promote it further? Are people asking more questions that you can answer? Gains these insights to decide on your next course of action.
10] Plan the Follow Up Ebook: This would be the perfect time to plan and create the next ebook. With this step, you can pick up a topic or an idea that would have struck you while you were writing the previous ebook. This way, you can create a body of work that will pay off in the long run!